Wednesday, March 23, 2016

When I'm 42

Day two: Where you'd like to be in ten years.


Ten years?! I don't even know where I want to be in ten minutes!!

I was recently talking to someone about where we were ten years ago, versus where we are now. And I look forward to that moment ten more years from now. Looking back at 2016 from 2026 - that seems exciting and crazy.

But thinking about where I want to be in 2026, is somewhat daunting.

Ten years ago, 2006 had just started. I was in college at Portland State and hating every moment of it. I was working at Old Chicago and loving most moments of it. I was out late, drinking, hooking up with boys I probably shouldn't have been hooking up with. I was definitely, for lack of any better description, being 22 years old.

I had no responsibilities, nothing I had to do other than drink enough Pepsi at 10pm to make it through a closing shift and run home to finish my homework. Nothing pressing that would keep me from a nap when I wanted, a beer when I wanted, a bang when I wanted.


Ten years later, in 2016, I am very much being 32. I'm single, living with a roommate. I am smarter with money, grateful for my college education, and still carefree enough to take vacations, spend my extra bonuses on tattoos and plane tickets, and take naps whenever I want to (on the weekends). I am in no way where I thought I would be in ten years, ten years ago - which makes me less inclined to decide now where I want to be in ten more.

Things I'd like to accomplish in the next 10 minutes:
Lunch.

Things I'd like to accomplish in the next 10 days:
Beach weekend in Pacific City
Bills paid for April
Make my bed and clean the bathroom


In reality, of course it is good to have goals. But ten years is a really, really long time. I am definitely more in the short term - get promoted, sell my truck before I have to start commuting to work, sell everything that is in my storage unit that I clearly don't need, get in a good gym routine, take a vacation, enjoy my time in Phoenix next month.

Write tomorrow's blog post. Let's start there.





No comments:

Post a Comment