Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Be the Best Version of Yourself

There is something quite cathartic to me about a written reflection over the past year, before the new one starts - I can't believe it is already the end of 2013! Is time going faster than normal, or is my life just happening in fast forward? Every year I do the same thing; I spend New Year's Eve and the days leading up to it, jotting down the things I accomplished, learned, failed in, the places I went, the boys I dated, kissed, or broke up with, the friends I made, the ones I lost...just all the things that happened.


2013, though it had a rocky start with a relatively intensive surgery and a break up, ended up being a year in which I made some of the best friends I have ever made. I took some great vacations, turned 30 with some of my closest friends in Las Vegas, found an amazing apartment, and focused on growing more as a person. I'd call this year a total win.

I spent New Year's Eve in my pajamas, drinking champagne and watching TV with Rachel, who is sick as a dog, and her son PJ, along with her cat Bailey, and Miss Juno...yes, I take Juno to her place to hang out. It was so mellow, and I seriously was surprised I made it awake to midnight. But it was still fun; I find fun in much more mundane activity than I used to - I can be sitting on the couch, or out to sushi, or just watching TV, and be content, where I used to really have to be go-go-go all the time. I think being happy in my own skin has really made that difference.

The year went out with, well, a bang, when my boss called me to tell me that a certain cousin of mine tried to get me fired by calling the company I work for, whining about this blog. But I win. Nice try. Did it infuriate me? Yes, of course. But again, I win. I'll write a blog about anything I want. And what I learned yesterday is that WAY more people read it than I thought! So, suck it, ex family member.


Moving into 2014, I am ready to continue to focus on myself - on my health and fitness, on my career, on my personal growth. Kattie and I are starting another Advocare cleanse tomorrow morning, and will be eating strictly raw for the first 14 days of the new year. I have committed to a new work out schedule and despite how everyone always makes that resolution, will absolutely stick to it. I have promised to read more, to continue writing daily, and to find new ways to exercise not just my body, but also my brain. I want to hike more, travel more, discover new places - whether they be near or far from home - as often as I can. I will continue to be honest and open, vulnerable, up front and continue to speak my truth. I am a happier person when I say how I feel and what I think, and isn't being happy the point of it all?

I am not one to set specific resolutions for the new year; those are never met, never kept past January 31st. Instead, I just try to go into the next year with more attentiveness and more focus on what improvements I want to see in myself and my relationships. So with that, I move forward into 2014...and I'm ready!




1 comment:

  1. There are so many places I want to hike this year and I really want to actually camp this year, at least once if not more. There are so many places just around Portland I want to really explore this year too. Ones we have been saying over and over we should go here and do this, this year we will - somehow!

    ReplyDelete