Monday, November 13, 2017

Dancing Through the Morning

Day 12: Your morning routine
Day 13: Put your music player on shuffle and write the first three songs that play


I turn my music on in the morning as soon as I finish hitting snooze four times and drag my ass out of bed. I set the phone on the bathroom counter, select shuffle - or sometimes a specific album if I happen to know what I'm in the mood for at the ass crack of dawn, which I generally do not, and let it play as I wipe sleep from my eyes and start my day. 

It should be noted that I spend more time in the morning trying to convince myself I can go one more day without washing my hair, than I do doing the rest of my "routine" combined.

I hate to wash my hair.

No, I don't hate to wash it. I hate all of the steps that follow the washing. If I wash my hair in the morning, it requires that I get up a full 45 minutes earlier than if I don't - because then I have to drown myself in detangler, comb through a million knots, decide if I want to go curly or straight, select appropriate product based on that decision, use said product, and then blow dry and/or flat iron. It's a lot of work! 

And I'd just as soon just have dirty hair and do nothing but spray some dry shampoo.


I like routine, and I don't like to stray too far from it. It's always when I start dating someone or stay at other people's houses that I realize how much I dislike straying from routine. My morning routine is definitely one of those routines I don't like to stray far from. I do my morning in a specific order:

* Feed the cat before she chews a hole in my phone charger and electrocutes herself and burns down my apartment. Juno lets me know I need to get up and feed her by chewing on the phone or laptop charger. She's insane.
* Open the blinds
* Remember how badly I have to pee
* Pee
* Brush my chompers. I cannot stand the taste of dirty teeth or morning breath. Also I think people who brush their teeth in the shower are likely serial killers.
* Shower. I also shower in a certain order - wash my face first, then shave and wash myself...and if I absolutely cannot convince myself my week-old unwashed hair is clean, I was and condition my hair first.
* Get out of the shower, get dry and use all those girly products like deodorant and perfume and coconut oil, plus all the face stuff that keeps my skin baby soft.
* Sit on the bedroom floor in my towel and do my makeup. And yes, I also do my makeup in a specific order. IAMSOWEIRD.
* Do my hair. Either by way of all of those insane and time consuming clean-hair steps, or by spritzing dry shampoo and running a flat iron through the ends (usually the latter).
* Get dressed (more commonly known as standing in my underwear debating between leggings & boots or slacks & flats).
* Try to coax Juno out from under the bed, where she hides whenever she sees me getting ready - she either hates my obsessive routine, or she thinks I'm going to make her get a job and go to work. Talk to her in baby cat talk, give up on getting her out from under the bed, spend 10 minutes searching for my keys, forget my lunch in the fridge, and head to work.


I continue to listen to music all day at work, and when I put my phone on shuffle to write this post, these are the first three songs that played. 

1. Bulletproof Weeks - Matt Nathanson
I have so much Matt Nathanson on my iPhone that it is only logical the first song would be one of his. Every. Single. Time. I am, after all, a Matt Nathanson groupie.


2. All My Life - KC and JoJo
This makes sense. I like to kick it old school. 

3. Hallelujah - Pentatonix
This makes sense too. I love this song - no matter who sings it, I love (and have on my phone) practically every version ever played. And my phone must know I am working on locating my holiday spirit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment