Wednesday, November 8, 2017

My Tattoo Means I Like Tattoos


Day Eight: What tattoos do you have, and do they have meaning?


I am definitely not one to think that all tattoos must have significant meaning - I mean, I think it's totally fine if the meaning behind a piece of work on your body is, I was kinda bored and this was really pretty. I love tattoos. I really love beautiful, well-done tattoos. And yes, I love the ones that are meaningful - I just don't think it's a requirement.

I have a lot of ink in my skin, so I suppose this blog post may get a little lengthy...I suppose I shall start from the ground up.

1. On the inside of my left ankle, I have a Juno Cat tattoo. This one, of course, has meaning. Everyone in my life knows how important Juno is, and the fact that I believe with my whole heart that my Grandma Stacey sent her to me to rescue me from my horrible relationship - yes I know that sounds insane, and yes, I do actually believe it. Ironically, although it is one of my smallest tattoos that only took 45 minutes to get, it's by far my favorite. Travis (my amazing tattoo artist) did such a great job capturing her round belly and extra long whiskers - somehow even though it's basically just an outline, it looks just like her.


2. On my right calf, I have a rose and sparrow - this is the first tattoo Travis did for me, and is a cover up of a terribly done crescent moon and shooting star. The terribly done tattoo did have meaning - I got it when a friend died - but I think the fact that it was so hideous, makes covering it up forgivable. Plus, it's still there. Something pretty just happens to be on top of it now.

3. On my right hip, I have the words carpe diem in bold, black, not-great-looking script. I got it in New York City, while on vacation with Jenny in 2008. It's not a good tattoo. In fact it's a pretty bad tattoo. But it definitely reminds me of a really fun trip I took to the east coast with my best friend. The most vivid memory of getting the tattoo itself was that Jenny snapped a photo and the artist literally yelled at her (not a great sign). It's not one I can cover up since it's big ugly black lettering, but it has a good story behind it.

4. On my left side, lower back, is my very first tattoo - a small little Tinkerbell that a friend sketched for me and I had branded to my body in 2001 when I turned 18. It is also very poorly done, and is in the cover up process.

5. On my left side, right under my armpit on my ribs, I have two honey bees and their hive. The bees are singing and happily playing music, and this is my most meaningful tattoo for sure. I got it when my grandparents died. I picked honey bees because one of my most favorite memories from being a kid, is climbing the honey tree in their front yard. Travis made them musical bees because my family has a very musical background, and my mom always talks about how their was constant music in their home. And the hive is there to show how they were always there with us, with their "hive." I'd like to add to this one eventually and have it cover my full left side.


6. On my right wrist, I have my Zodiac sign, just small and simple outline. This one is meaningful in that I am a Leo - and I pretty much operate in line with that sign.

7. On my right forearm, I have a hot air balloon, which I got when I finally felt like I was free of a bunch of shit going on in my life. I also got the word free on my left forearm on the same day. I'll likely add to the balloon on my right arm at some point and finish my forearm - who knows?

8. My left arm started with the word free, as mentioned, and is now a full sleeve. I told Travis I was ready for a sleeve, and that I wanted it to be feminine - that was the only insight I gave him, and I let him run with it. That's what I love about Travis, is that he loves to take the creative freedom, so when I say something like, I want a sleeve that's pretty and feminine, he just works my arm into art. I love the finished product, and we worked on it for over a year, with I believe six total sessions when all was said and done. It's a queen bee, with two bluebirds, some gorgeous bright flowers and a tree, and a honey comb tucked behind it all.


9. After a lot of thought (and some convincing from Travis), I have finally started my back and am two sessions in to probably another 18 months of work. He's doing a full back piece - a peacock and some roses - from my neck to my ass. I love it so far. The peacock outline is done, but not the roses yet, and I got about five hours of color completed this spring before a wedding I was in. I am so excited to keep going on this one!

Not all tattoos have meaning. Not even all of my tattoos have meaning. But I think all tattoos are gorgeous - and I think that is meaning enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment