Tuesday, December 24, 2013

All that Ho Ho Ho and Mistletoe



Sometimes you just need a simple reminder that Christmas is the time of year to be happy. Whether it has been an easy year or a difficult one, there is always someone out there who wants to make you happy, who wants to bring a little joy your way.

I had a hard holiday season this year. I struggled to remember why we were even having Christmas. I was missing my grandparents, missing the Stacey family Thanksgiving, dreading the Whitmore family everything. I was feeling very Grinchy. And then I just decided to do a few little things to remind myself of what really matters. I baked cookies for my dad. I watched Home Alone. I filled a stocking with toys for Juno. I set up a Toys for Tots donation bin at work and collected over 100 toys between myself and several other property teams. I ordered cake pops & Christmas cards for my residents. I shopped with friends. I listened to Christmas music while sitting in holiday rush hour traffic. I had girl's night at my place. I had Blake over for a slumber party. I helped Rachel with Zap the Elf and forced Santa down her son's throat for a month when he started doubting. I sneaked a bag of gifts to my friend's front porch this morning to his son, from Santa.


And it worked. I'm excited. I'm ready to celebrate with my mom & dad and my little brother. I am even almost a little bit not dreading dinner with the Whitmores tomorrow night.

Sometimes you just need to be reminded of what Christmas is all about. If I made you even a little bit happier this week, I have done what I set out to do. If I bought you a gift or made you laugh, if I thought fondly of you or sent you a card. If I texted or called you, or had you over to my house, you have helped make my Christmas better. Merry Christmas to all of you. To my family and friends, and to the people who I am so grateful to for reading my blog every day. Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment