Thursday, December 12, 2013

The best relationship in the world, is the one you have with your favorite book


Question: A book you love?

Just one? I have to pick just one?

I am an avid reader and I love books. I love bookstores and libraries, ordering books on Amazon and the anticipation of starting a new one. I love curling up on the couch with a new book, in front of the fireplace, with Juno at my feet.

While doing some little kid Christmas shopping this year, I got to thumb through several of my childhood favorites, and it just makes me feel good. Reading stories with Blake is my favorite way to spend time with him, even though most of the time he just runs around the room talking while I read the book out loud. I buy books for kids because I want them to love reading like I do, to love books as much as they enjoy their toys.


I really don't think I have one single favorite book. In fact I know I don't. What are a few of my most favorite books:

- Madeline. Yes, the children's book about 12 little girls in 2 straight lines...and the smallest one, was Madeline. I love to read this book to my favorite baby girls. I love the rhythm, the story, the sketches, and her little outfit. Love it.
- There's a Monster at the End of This Book. With Grover from Sesame Street begging on every page that the reader just go away and not let the monster out. Blakey and I love reading this book together, and it always just makes me giggle.
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I've blogged about Beverly Cleary as my idol before, and about Ramona. Ramona is, I can say with certainty, my favorite character ever written.
- Sarah's Key. I have a strange love of books about the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. This one is one of the best ever.
- The Help. A touching novel about what happens when people come together to just kick ass and make a difference.
- Water for Elephants. I've read it 3 times in the past 2 years. Just a great book.
- My Year With Eleanor. I just recently read this one. It is a memoir, written by a journalist who quits her job to spend 365 days living her life to the fullest, doing one thing every single day for an entire year that she is afraid to do. One of my favorite quotes, one of the best books, most inspiring, I have ever read.

I love books. In fact, I just finished another great one, a memoir called Loose Girl (read it) and am starting Orange is the New Black. I love vacations because then all I have to do is read. I once read all 3 Huger Games books in a 3 day weekend from work, and last year I read all 3 Fifty Shades books on just my 2 days off. If I didn't have to work, I'd never do anything but read books.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent choices!! I too, loved so much Sarah's Key & The Help!! If you liked Sarah's Key, you should try to find Yellow Star, it was a whole other side of the Holocaust and the effects it had on the then little girl - was excellent and a quick read - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16089534-yellow-star

    ReplyDelete