Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Don't Need a Rescue

Call me crazy, but I don't believe I have the power to save anyone but myself. Nor do I believe I can be saved by another person.

Today's prompt: Do you like to be saved? Or do you like to do the saving?


Maybe I live in a dream world, and maybe part of the reason I am still single is that I don't buy into that garbage. I don't need to be saved. Neither does the man I want to be with...

I think you can only be truly ready for a relationship with someone new when you are no longer in need of being saved, or rescued, or validated. You have to be strong enough to have already mended your own heart, to have already let go of your own resentment and heartache, and to have already come out a better and stronger person. Until you reach that point, I don't believe you're ready for your next successful relationship with someone new.


There have been times in my life where I have been ready for a relationship, and there have been times where I have been severely damaged, where the last thing I was even considering was a boyfriend. At no point have I felt like I needed some guy to swoop in and save me from my broken heart, from my current situation, from anything really. I am lucky to have had parents who raised me to be an independant thinker, and to be a woman who knows the value of being able to take care of myself. I don't need to be with someone to be happy or to be satisfied. I don't need to be rescued, saved, or taken care of. Don't get me wrong - I know the value of being with someone who supports, loves, and embraces me when I need to be picked up. That's not the same. Do I need to be supported? Yes. Do I need to be picked up off the floor sometimes? Yes, of course. But do I need Prince Charming to save me from the universe? No, I got that handled.

The same goes both ways. Can I offer support? Yes. Can I pick my partner up sometimes? Yep. But am I out to rescue a broken heart? Absolutely not.

I have, surprisingly, reached the point where I am open to a new relationship. I am not carrying around baggage with me, nor do I have any leftover resentment toward the male gender as a whole. I am not going out with an agenda of meeting a husband or trying to find a baby's daddy by any means, but for the first time in a long time, I can say I am honestly open and ready for someone new. That is, of course, assuming he does not need to be rescued. I may not need Prince Charming, but I am also not a Princess Charming.


No comments:

Post a Comment