Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What'd I Do Today?

Today's Challenge is to write about the timeline of my day.
That seems dull, but ok...


I wake up in the morning between 6:30 and 7:30, depending on if I have to wash my hair or not. I avoid washing my hair at all costs most days because, well, I would rather sleep than blow dry and style the mop on my head.

Anyways, so I get up, shower, brush my teeth, wash my face, and do my makeup. And hair if I have to. I am usually running late, so I blend a quick smoothie for breakfast, feed Juno and go running out the door. Half the time, I forget my lunch. I usually realize this about 3 stoplights from my parents' house.

I work from 9am-6pm most days, occassionally 8-5 or even better, 7-4. My work day generally consists of emails, reports, filing, and listening to residents whine about parking, rent, late fees, and anything else you could possibly think to whine about. At some point around noon, I eat lunch, and at some point between 5 and 6, I go home.
This is generally my schedule. Ironic, though, that this is my challenge topic, because today I went to work at 9:00am and am still at home, on my work email, coding invoices, and responding to owner requests...all at a property that isn't even mine! I suppose it could be worse, I could be in my office instead of at home, I could be still wearing work clothes instead of my jammies, I could not have Juno sitting next to me purring as I blast Carrie Underwood on Pandora and curse my staff as I work. But, despite that I am home, with jammies, cat, and music, it is still work and I am still annoyed as fuck.

It is moments like this one that I try to remember where my work ethic and my reliability has gotten me in my career. I try to remember that I have only worked for my company for 2 and a half years. I have only been a manager for 9 months. And yet, I have worked through a property takeover, I have managed a property through a sale process, and I have (yesterday) been given a senior manager position over 2 buildings. These are no small feats. These are not things that usually all happen back to back in a 33 month time span. I try to remember that I am moving up - and moving up fast - because of how hard I work, and because when I am asked to do something extra, I do it...even if it is someone else's giant mess that I have no part in and therefore do not even slightly deserve to be the one cleaning it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment